Camp & Retreat Volunteers
Smile-A-Mile has five camps and retreats throughout the year:
- Sibling Camp
- (May 30-June 2, 2024)
- Youth Weeklong Camp
- (June 3-June 8, 2024)
- Teen Weeklong Camp
- (July 8-July 13, 2024)
- Fall Family Retreat (Registration not yet open)
- The Journey Continues Family Retreat (Registration not yet open)
- Tentative Date: January 19-January 21, 2024
We strive to provide the best experience for the children and families we serve, therefore we choose the ‘best of the best’ volunteers. Our volunteers help make the ‘magic’ of Smile-A-Mile happen.
- Cabin Counselor – Depending on campers needs, each counselor will be assigned to two to four campers for the duration of the camp session. You will sleep in the same cabin, provide guidance, safety, friendship and supervision.
- Activity Counselor – Instruct or assist in one of the many program activities offered during a session. You do not have to be an expert for this position. This position allows you to meet all campers and volunteers throughout the week.
- Medical Staff – Volunteer nurses and doctors that provide 24-hour health care to our campers and staff. Their job includes distributing medications and monitoring the health of all campers and staff. The doctors and nurses who attend camp are employees from Children’s of Alabama Hematology/Oncology Department.
- Must be 19 years of age or older
- Applicants must be 21 or older for Teen weeklong camp sessions
- All vaccinations must be up to date
- Read, understand, and abide by the rules, policies and procedures found in the Camp Manual
- Attend the mandatory training via Zoom (Date: TBD)
Thank you for your interest!
Applications to volunteer for our camp sessions are open now. We will accept applications until Friday, January 26th. Interviews will be done virtually the last week of February and the first week of March for new applicants. If chosen, camp volunteers MUST attend a mandatory Volunteer Training via Zoom. To apply, please go to https://tinyurl.com/SAMsummervolunteer2024. Even if you are a returning volunteer, we ask that you complete this volunteer application. However, some sections will not be necessary. These sections are clearly marked. After applying, all applicants will receive further information about interviews and any additional information needed.
Interested in volunteering at camp but can’t commit to the whole weekend? We always welcome individuals and groups to come and volunteer for a day during camp sessions. Individuals typically come to speak about a topic or lead an activity.
- Meals: Providing, preparing and serving breakfast, lunch or dinner
- Download our overview of what to bring for cooking groups
- Activities: We’ve had groups come and teach campers about basketball, baseball, cheerleading, swing dancing, and a variety of other skills
- Speakers and Demonstrations: Whether you’re a motivational speaker or have something neat you want to show our campers, we’d love to hear your ideas!
Please email email@example.com to discuss further volunteer options.