Ride of Love
Saturday, April 25, 2020
Birmingham to Lake Martin
The Ride of Love is a very special cycling event that raises funds for Smile-A-Mile. Over the years, the Ride of Love has grown to be much more than a fundraising event. It’s a tradition and part of our programming. The cyclists stay together as a group throughout the entire ride. They pedal more than 150 miles to ride into On Therapy Family Camp at Lake Martin and are greeted by cheering children and families. Starting in 2018, the Ride of Love begins at Smile-A-Mile Place in downtown Birmingham!
- 5:30 a.m. – Riders arrive
- 5:45 a.m. – Ride briefing
- 6:00 a.m. – Ride begins
- Route: Birmingham – Lake Martin
- Duration: 10-12 hours
- Pace: Between 15-16 MPH
The Ride of Love is unique in many ways:
- Cyclists stay together as a group the whole ride. No one is left behind ever. The leader keeps the pace. The cyclists start together, ride together and finish together. There’s experienced sag available if cyclists need to have a few minutes off their bikes further along into the ride. Since the group rides together for the entire ride, it’s absolutely necessary for cyclists to have endurance training riding in groups for long periods of time.
- There are two route options – 150 miles and 75 miles. The 75 mile option starts at the lunch stop at Grist Mill.
- Cline Tours provides a charter bus that takes cyclists and their bikes back to the 75 mile start at Grist Mill and 150 mile start at Smile-A-Mile Place. Round trip transportation!
- The ride is fully supported with sheriff escort, mechanic, ambulance, sag, food/hydration
- We ask each cyclist raise at least $250. Many cyclists are able to do that in no time and greatly exceed this amount. We provide a convenient online fundraising platform. Many cyclists also choose to pay this amount on their own in lieu of fundraising. Registration fee is $50.
- Cyclists ride into camp as a group. There’s a ceremony, cyclists are able to get showers and then have dinner with the children and their families. We also welcome cyclists’ families to be at camp to see them finish the ride and have dinner with them.
- Each first year cyclist receives a jersey as part of the registration fee. Veteran ROL participants are welcome to purchase another jersey. Everyone sports a Ride of Love jersey!
- Our friends at Hilton Garden Inn & Home2 Suites by Hilton – Birmingham Downtown are giving us another great group rate for the Ride of Love! $119! The hotel is just a couple of blocks from Smile-A-Mile Place – the start of the ride. You will be able to leave your vehicle in the hotel lot for the duration of the ride. Group Name: Ride of Love Group Code: LOV
For more information, please contact us.